Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Letter to the H8ers...


H8ers, I just want you to know that I have been going through one of the most difficult seasons of my life in connection with my faith. I am NOT where I used to be but I am NOT without Christ. He promised NEVER to leave me or forsake me. I know you believe the Bible is always clear and literal, this seems so clear...should I take IT literally?

I am only starting to catch a faint glimpse of how much bigger and compassionate God is...so much bigger than I ever understood before. I am told in scripture that His mercy is new every morning and His compassion does not fail...I also read that he will not crush a tender reed or snuff out a faintly burning flame, right now...I feel like that's speaking to me. It's reported that He cares for the broken hearted and HE will leave the 99 who are 'secure', to find the one that might wander and appear to be lost. Can I take THAT literally? If I am as lost as you fear...then I'll trust Jesus to mean what he says. I KNOW I will hear his voice as I have before...Your voices do not sound like His to me...lalalalala...I'm not listening any more!

You have NO idea of the loss that I've suffered...personally, emotionally and spiritually, as a result of prior church abuse and the way that things really went down at the last 'church' we attended with you...the one you still pimp. It ALMOST...ALMOST, took everything...it practically distroyed my faith...but...I feel like there is still a tiny bit of God residue left and I am clinging to that and trusting that God to make sense out of it some day. In the mean while...as I work/walk out my own salvation with fear and trembling...sticking as close to the example Jesus lived as I can; I rest in knowing the best news of all is that I (as well as all the other souls in the world) will NOT answer to you when we pass from this life to the next...

I want you to know that experiencing this unnecessary ordeal with you...the demonstration of your lack of understanding...and your lack of DESIRE to understand, has not caused me to want to persue the faith that you live and and seem to delight in scaring others into...In fact, I don't want to look anything like you.

Your public lies and attempts to shame and humiliate me, my husband as well as so many other people you've been 'friends' with thru the years, has done just that. I feel condemned and judged and beaten up.

Mission acomplished

Here's the deal though...I just can't find any examples of Jesus employing the same methods in communicating the 'good news'. I can't ever recall Him shaming the "lost" sinner into the kingdom...well, except maybe the anal retentive Pharisee's but not the whore, tax collector or other 'undesirables' like me. Certainly he didn't blow them off with trite LOL's as he's dissing them on FB.

? LOL ?

SO...with that...you have confirmed to me that you are selling something I do not want. Was that your intention? Because though you probably don't care and wouldn't believe it any way...the truth is, in the last two days, you have helped to aggitate only partially healed wounds, doing as much to push me away from your message...aka...the only true way in Christ message , as any unfortunate and abusive church experience I've endured in the past.

You have not demonstrated the fruit of the spirit. I don't expect you to get this either...for obvious reasons...but...if you have, as you report, communicated my folly to me 'in Love at all...why does it feel like the sadistic love of an abusive parent or spouse? There is no joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and especially self control in the way you have chosen to talk to me, as well as about me IRL and on FB to people we don't even know. That is GOSSIP that borders on slander. It's my understanding that if God marked our any of our transgressions...who could stand? Is that literal or figurative?

I admit...unlike Jesus, one of my biggest vices is being vendictive...I suppose this blog post is a good example.I suck. But man, I am so tempted to expose your sin. I feel like it would make my heart happy to uncover it ALL to anyone who would take the time to read it here. But, I know that rush of adrenaline and feeling of you getting what you deserve...would be quickly replaced by terrible remorse and failing to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. I could do it. I could put it all out there...but what would that do? It might make me feel pretty powerful and superior for 9 seconds...and then...I'd hate me. And...if I am able to discern the voice of Jesus...it seems he's reminding me that He wouldn't do that to you...no matter what. *sigh* It's hard for me to die to myself.

Having observed your actions personally and virtually, the only thing I can surmise is that you know your shit stinks...maybe worse than most...and you are afraid that God is going to bust you. You project that fear in your message...hoping it will make up for the all the times you've failed. It's the only thing that could possibly explain why you work so hard to create a pious, sanctimonious identity on FB. WOWING gullible 'friends' with your ability to copy and paste cherry picked scripture in to status updates...trying to underscore your fear of a God that delights in the idea of tormenting lost sinners...just like you and me...in an eternal hell forever.

I really wish you could know how much damage you have done...I tried to tell you. I tried to share my story...I tried to explain it to you. But you responded by acting like an 8th grade bully...threatening me with God's wrath. You resorted to using sarcasm, attempting to cover up for and even blame me for your flippant and hurtful words. It's sad to me that you missed the message of humility and meekness in the life of Christ, as well as the idea of stiving for peace and reconcilitation. I wish you would STOP neglecting the best part of the message, it's so unhelpful.

I guess at this point...if I've misunderstood your actions or words...I'd have to place the fact that "I just don't GET IT...or I MISSED IT THIS TIME", on your shoulders. Are you preaching it...are you bringing it? Then it's your responsibility to deliver the message with clarity. Thats the law of communication. If there are misunderstandings...then it is your job to communicate MORE CLEARLY. Sadly though, I don't think I "missed it". What you've communicated and miscommunicated "so clearly" has without a doubt distroyed my interest in your message...forever. I actually think that's something I should celebrate...I refuse to believe in the gospel of H8ers.

Now with that said and with the provocation of friends...I am cutting you out...and off. I will be relieved to have you completely out my life...you have been sources of pain and disappointment for a while and if, as you suspect is true, I have failed to internalized the 'only true way in Christ' as communicated and modeled by you...its because your actions and lack of love got in the way.

13 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you are hurting. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jamie...I should have taken care of protecting myself against these people a long time ago...but...that also felt unkind and hateful.
    It's hard to tell when it's okay to cut people out of your life especially as someone who is desparately trying to emulate Jesus. I don't think Jesus would have writen this shitty blog either...but I had to get it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay, Joy. You aren't Jesus. :)
    And he did say, Don't throw pearls to the swine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When one door closes, then another one opens. Let those doors close. It is hard to do. I know, you just want to stick your foot in the jam and not let that happen but, it is ok. The next door has amazing surprises for you on the other side. You have to pull your foot out to find it. So let it go............
    I am sorry your hurting too. Do not let the h8ers get to you. Let them go. They are just angry people trying to take you with them. Do not be angry. Love their humanism. They are humans just doing what they think it right. Love them even though they are lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand, Joy. Sometimes there is a difference between being loving and being safe. Sometimes we have to choose safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAY TO GO JOY!!! :D :D :D Long overdue, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to hear what you are going through and so sorry that you are feeling such pain and judgment ~ but I love*love*love your writing!

    I don't know if it might help you or not but I just starting reading a book called "Forgive for Good" by Dr. Fred Luskin. It came highly recommended by dear friends that have overcome horrible circumstances through forgiveness. I don't believe that forgiveness means condoning or excusing bad behavior or even reconciling with the offender. It is just a tool to not let past hurts effect your present and future. I've been carrying around a lot of grievances and hope this book can help :) I'm only through chapter 6 right now but I pray it helps me! :)
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy - I'm so sorry that you have been a victim of people being so unloving and cruel in the name of Jesus. It actually hurts more than someone being unloving and cruel in general. I guess because we expect people who say they follow the way of Jesus to be different and so somehow we trust them a little more - we allow them to get a little closer - we are more vulnerable .... and then BAM - they treat us in a way that we could never imagine Jesus treating us or anyone. Please know that there are some followers of Jesus who know better and love you. Thanks for sharing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proud to call you my sister-in-Christ, Joy. (Whatever in the world that really means!)
    xoxo,
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you guys...for validating me...and for letting me vent...my counselor tells me it's all part of the healing process...I hope she's right (o:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joy, I don't think this is a *shitty blog post* at all. People caught up in shitty church culture need to hear voices like yours. I grieve for you (and with you - been through some church rubbish of my own!) but even more I rejoice because you are holding onto Him - and choosing not to be part of 'it'. That is cause for celebration. It's all up to HIM now - & he won't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. way to be real Cuz! I'm honoured to be related to you.
    I think we (Christians) can make our rules so ridged and our god so small that there's no room for God to actually work. It's a good reminder to me that God doesn't actually speak and look how I think He should and we should definitly question. Way to go Joy! You are a lot like Paul I think.
    As a fellow Christ follower I'm horrified to hear you've been treated with such hate and disregard for the love we should carry for each other. Why is this okay? I don't understand!

    Love you and wish we lived closer. Please keep writing and clinging to Him. I for one need to hear about it! and I love the questions. You challenge me in a very good way! thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I live thousands of miles from you (in Australia) and I can feel the heat. Don't you love it when people want to straighten out your theology and believe they have the insight into your condition - and God's view - on the matter? I have been fortunate for a number of years to be able to avoid such people. I hope you can find people who will offer you grace, acceptance for who you are and where you are journeying and extend the hand of offering you more and more freedom to find your own earthed experience in God. There are occasionally people I come across who give me the space to 'normalise' my experience, rather than try to 'organise' my experience; people who simply respect me. Boy, do I cherish them. I hope you can find such people in what sounds like to be a process of recovery. Rob

    ReplyDelete